Heating elements are made of metal coils and they are designed to heat up and then cool down repeatedly. Over time, this heating and cooling can cause the metal to break down, which shortens the lifespan of the heating element.
There are a few things that damage your heating elements:
- Sulfur In the Air: Sulfur can corrode heating elements, so if you live in an area with high sulfur content in the air, it’s crucial to have your heating elements regularly serviced.
- Dirt And Dust: If your heating elements are dirty or dusty, they will have to work harder to heat up, which can shorten their lifespan.
- Vibration: If your heating elements are located in a spot where they vibrate, this can also cause them to break down prematurely.
- Water: If there is water on or around your heating elements, this can cause them to rust and break down.
- Short Cycling: If your heating system cycles on and off too frequently, this can also cause damage to the heating elements.
You should also ensure that they are located where they won’t be subject to vibration, dirt, dust, or water.
Tips To Extend The Lifespan Of Your Heat Strip
- Regular Servicing: Heating elements should be serviced every year or two by a professional. It will help to keep them clean and free of corrosion. If you are facing any issues related to heating, call the professionals for heating repair in San Luis Obispo, CA.
- Keep them Clean: Heating elements can be cleaned with a soft cloth or brush. Be sure to unplug the heating element before cleaning it.
- Avoid Short Cycling: Heating elements should not be turned on and off frequently. It puts unnecessary stress on the heat strip and can cause it to break down prematurely.
- Use A Heating Element Cover: A heating element cover can help to protect the heating element from dirt, dust, and water.
- Welded Joints: Placing the heating element on top of welded joints will help to keep it from vibrating and breaking down.
- Maintain Proper Voltage: Applying too much or too little voltage to the heating element can cause it to break down. Be sure to check the voltage rating of the heating element before using it.
- Turn Off When Not in Use: When you’re not using the heating element, be sure to turn it off. This will help to prolong the lifespan.
- Proper Installation: Heating elements should be installed by a professional. It will help to ensure that they are installed correctly and will not come loose over time.
If you follow these tips, you can help extend the lifespan of your heating elements and keep them working properly for longer. If you have any problems with your heating elements, be sure to call a professional for heating repair in San Luis Obispo, CA.
Give An Early Care To Your Heating System
Pacific Heating & Sheet Metal has been in the HVAC industry for over 25 years and has been providing the best furnace repair in San Luis Obispo, CA. We offer regular servicing and maintenance contracts that give your heating system a much-needed health checkup from time to time. Our heating repair experts will come to your place, inspect the unit and suggest any necessary repairs that are required to be carried out.